Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Stocking

Growing up, we all had Bucilla Christmas stockings that were handmade by my Grandma Carter. I always thought they were so cool because everyone in the family had a different stocking.  My Grandma passed away last January (only a week or two after I'd told her I was pregnant with Grace), so she didn't get a chance to make Grace a stocking. I actually made Bryan a stocking two years ago, so it wasn't too overwhelming to make Grace's. If I had been smart I would have made this while I was pregnant, but I didn't start it until Grace was a few weeks old.  It's pretty time and labor intensive, but it's the kind of craft I like because you can do it while you watch Netflix or listen to a book on tape (you don't really need to be fully focused on it). I had fun making it, and it's nice to be able to carry on my Grandma's tradition.
Grace holding her stocking while in a baby trance.
These stockings come in a kit that tells you exactly what to do, but I did add one personal touch (as suggested by my Grandma Hansen): I embroidered Grace's name and birth date on the back.  I also added a little snowflake because I was having fun embroidering, and I didn't want to be done yet.

No comments: